The Florida Center for Reading Research is a multidisciplinary research center at Florida State University that was established in 2002 by the Governor's office and Legislature. Currently, FCRR is home to ten tenured and tenure-track faculty members holding joint appointments with the College of Arts & Sciences, College of Education, and College of Social Work. In addition, FCRR has affiliate faculty in the College of Social Work, School of Teacher Education, and School of Communication Sciences and Disorders.
The Florida Center for Reading Research (FCRR) is an interdisciplinary research center at Florida State University. Drawing from multiple disciplines, FCRR investigates all aspects of reading and reading-related skills across the lifespan. Through rigorous and robust research, innovation, and engagement, FCRR advances the science of reading to improve learning and achievement from birth through adulthood.
Improving reading through science
FCRR contributes to the quality, accessibility, use and relevance of reading and reading-related research by leveraging our talent, resources, and partnerships to:
- Conduct basic and applied interdisciplinary research on all aspects of reading and reading-related skills to benefit learners;
- Apply rigorous and innovative approaches that are responsive to the pressing problems of practice, policy, and research;
- Develop innovative multimedia resources to translate and disseminate results of high quality research relevant to a diverse group of stakeholders;
- Create and sustain meaningful, mutually supportive, and lasting cross-sector partnerships with diverse organizations to solve high leverage problems locally, nationally, and internationally;
- Engage in leadership and entrepreneurial activities to empower researchers, practitioners, and other stakeholders to discover solutions, transform practices, and make improvements continuously; and
- Foster a diverse intellectual community of researchers and practitioners to advance the science of reading and develop the next generation of scholars and leaders.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
FCRR embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion. We grow, learn, discover, innovate, and engage better because of the diversity amongst our faculty, staff, and students. It is our differences—in who we are, what we do, how we think, where we’ve been, and what we’ve experienced—that facilitates the pursuit of our vision to improve reading through science for all learners. We chose to pursue that vision in a manner that is equitable and inclusive for our members and for our stakeholders, including children, families, educators, leaders, policymakers, community members, and researchers.
FCRR strives to demonstrate its commitment to valuing, celebrating, and utilizing diversity, equity, and inclusion in three ways. First, we cultivate a diverse interdisciplinary intellectual community, where we leverage our members’ varied professional and personal expertise, experiences, talents, and skills in ways that we would otherwise not be able to in order to advance reading research, innovation, and engagement. Second, we act on specific goals and objectives stated in our strategic plan related to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion within FCRR’s policies, procedures, and activities and initiatives. Third, we adhere to FSU’s EOC policies and procedures and participate in FSU’s Diversity and Inclusion activities and initiatives.
FCRR recognizes that cultivating and preserving an inclusive culture where all people can thrive personally and professionally is an active process. We will continue to work to foster an environment that champions our differences, elevates equity, and creates a sense of belonging for our members and for our stakeholders.
FCRR’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion statement aligns with Florida State University’s Diversity and Inclusion Statement. For more information, please visit: https://diversity.fsu.edu/.